Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Someday my daughter will be in 7th and 8th grade...

...And I find this absolutely terrifying. Charlie is already excited about getting Sadiebug a backpack for preschool for this fall, and I'm already worried about Middle School. But then I found this quote on Mommy Track'd and it seemed so appropriate:

“The seventh and eighth grades were for me, and for every single good and interesting person I’ve ever known, what the writers of the Bible meant when they used the words hell and the pit. It was Lord of the Flies. Springtime for Hitler, and Germany. So how on earth can I bring a child into the world, knowing that such sorrow lies ahead?” ~ Anne Lamott

We thought Sadie was going to be a boy because there had been a steady stream for 18 generations. Yes, 18 generations. Charlie is one of THOSE families that actually took a boat to Virginia in the 1600's, looked around and said, "Well, this is nice." They have only ventured as far as Maryland, where we live today.

But no, during the ultrasound, the doctor said, "Boys are usually very active like your little one here.... wait... it's girl." Charlie asked her to check several times just to make sure. Yep, it was a girl. That was when I started to panic about 7th grade. Even though she was only 20 weeks old, I was worried about her walking into Middle School and facing 7th grade, (which according to my sources... 5th grade is the new 7th grade, and that just terrifies me even more.)

So, here's hoping preschool goes well. Sadie has already taken to saying, "Oh MY GOD!" all the time. That's my fault.

2 comments:

  1. That 5th grade is the new 7th grade thing horrifies the heck out of me, too. Punky's heading off to first grade soon. I'm not ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then there was college. BRRRR.

    ReplyDelete

Field Notes and Observations by other Sassy Anthropologists...